[Excerpts from the press briefing held by Comrade Bimal Rathnayake via the internet on 17.05.2020]
At the moment, a massive number of vicious vituperations have been targeted against the JVP. It is an organized act carried out by the government. Fabricated news is published using letterheads similar to the ones used by the JVP. Photographs of leaders of the party, together with statements they had never made, are released to the internet. Comrade Anura Dissanayake, Comrade Nalin Jayatissa as well as I made complaints to the CID regarding this. Complaints with all details of those who maintain fake Face book accounts were lodged on 2nd April. Even after 1 ½ months, there hasn’t been any inquiry. Most of those who carry out these mudslinging campaigns are not ordinary people.
We, of the JVP, can weather criticisms and confront them. We have confronted and overcome challenges, stresses and obstacles than any other political party in Sri Lanka. We are conditioned to meet any situation. There is a group that is different from ordinary members of the SLPP and UNP as they have got their souls abused to engage in the profession of mudslinging. These hired writers with distorted personalities, while engaging in government duties, spread communalism and fabricate stories and false news.
During the last three weeks, false news was fabricated and published using my photograph. During the last three days, three false news items were fabricated and published. Even during this media briefing, you would have noticed that even before I started the briefing, a group had come out with obscene language. Ordinary people do not listen to what they don’t like. This is one characteristic. Otherwise, they listen and later criticize. However, who are these who come out with about 500 obscene words even before the media briefing has started? They are not Rajapaksa siblings but those from ordinary families who have become henchmen/women or lackeys of Rajapaksa family. We want to say why they, who have pawned their souls, act this way spending their own money.
We would very humbly say that during this corona environment, except for the government’s mechanism, it is the JVP that has carried out much voluntary work to assist the people. When a town is disinfected, it prevents at least one person from being infected with the virus. When hundreds of thousands of face masks are donated to security services, the act helps the service personnel to protect themselves from the virus. When bags of provisions bought from the JVP Members salary fund are distributed, the people get some relief. When hospitals are short of blood, our Red Star arranges blood donation campaigns to donate blood. None of these acts carried out by the JVP did help to spread the pandemic. Our participation at the pandemic or any other natural disasters is voluntary, and our whole political move is a voluntary act as well.
The left politics is a voluntary affair. The comrades who participate in disinfecting areas and buildings, as well as all others, contribute to the moves voluntarily. We want to ask the leaders of the SLPP who sling mud at the JVP whether they, other than slinging mud at us, have appreciated the work we have done and are doing?
There are several marked differences between them and us:
· They hold election meetings within ‘corona’ while we are engaged in relief work
· They distil moonshine while we disinfect towns and buildings
· They smuggle in narcotics while we donate blood
· They abuse children while we educate children
· They steal while we expose thefts
· They carry out frauds while we are active in COPE and reveal frauds and corruption of both parties
· They sell disaster relief while we distribute relief to the needy
· They steal tsunami aid and public money while we donate from our Members’ salary fund
· They sell state corporations and public assets while we have brought profits to state corporations
· President donates three month’s salary. It is good. We have been donating our salaries for 20 years. Comrade Nihal Galappaththy has donated his salary for 26 years. I still haven’t seen the cheque for my salary. Even the JVP Members in Pradeshiya Sabhas contribute to this fund.
· They send aircraft to get down their relations in other countries while we represent the distressed Sri Lankans in foreign countries who have contributed immensely for government coffers
· They slash salaries of state employees while we raise our voices to protect the rights of workers
· They deploy security personnel here and there vainly while we provide soldier s with face masks and personal protective kits
· They build castles with public funds while we build buildings for hospitals using Member s’ salary fund
· They sell Hambantota Harbour and lands from Galle Face while we protect national assets
· They help to propagate communalism and religious extremism while we work towards national unity
· They carry out mudslinging campaigns and come out with obscene language while we debate and come up with data and facts
· When their leader addresses the Nation the whole country gets deflated but when our leader speaks the people contemplate
· When they are in the opposition the Parliament comes down to a low level but while our Members in Parliament enjoy the top ranks in Parliament for the last five years
· They live unjustly while we live righteously
· They violate all five precepts while we follow all five precepts.
Why do they attack us? It is due to the twisted personality and inferiority complex they suffer from. The issue with the leaders of the SLPP is inferiority complex. Of course, they have positions than us. We do not sell ourselves nor do we take in any fraudster into our party. We also can win elections by lying to the people. But we never do that. We do not have any misgivings due to not having any positions or privileges. We always try to put forward correct policies to win elections and administer the country. We would never do anything harmful to the people or the country to win elections and come to power. We have been working to defeat COVID-19 pandemic silently for 2 ½ months despite the fact that massive mudslinging campaigns were carried out against us. We have come out with these facts so that our sympathizers and supporters would not feel discomfort. There are two ways of halting the mudslinging against the JVP. Either the leader s of SLPP should get themselves healed of their inferiority complex. For this, they have to acquire the good qualities we possess. They can never do it. Or else The JVP should give up all its policies and jump to the cesspit. This would never happen. As such, this group suffering from inferiority complex is dragging the country towards utter destruction. They would not change as long as people do not change. We, of the JVP, would entertain any just criticism. It should be said that fabricating stories, mudslinging and coming out with obscene language would not benefit the people or the country. We want to say that we have defeated the SLPP politics not only logically but in action as well.”